Monday, February 24, 2014

37 Days | Change is Uncomfortable


Making change is uncomfortable--not just for some of us, but for ALL of us.  It might start out easy, but overtime, we want to gravitate toward our old habits.

Remember, even the smallest changes change yield big results.

For example, we decided that financially it was killing us to order beverages from restaurants.  We are Starbucks addicts and we never go out to eat without order drinks.  Today Dan & I told ourselves we are no longer a family that orders beverages.  (And, we have a $50 Starbucks card that is going to burn a hole in our pocket for awhile!)  We need to change this habit.  It's a small thing.  We can do this.  It will take practice though.  We will need to fill to-go cups at home with our Starbucks brewed java!

We can handle a few small changes at once.  So, we are also not a family who ever orders something at a drive-thru.  Period.

Now, remember from yesterday's post--we don't allow ourselves to break our new habit even once.  "Just one" does hurt.  If nothing else, it's hurts your ability to trust yourself with your new habit.  And you (we) are someone who can be trusted.

So, what small steps of change can you take this week?

3 comments:

  1. Both yesterday and todays blogs are so timely for me! I cannot be trusted, by myself... it saddens me, because I love to feed my family things they love."Not at your own expense," says Mikey, my Uber-loving husband. and he told me to stop making those things for them! I love that MAN, loving me and sticking up for me when I am weak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to you, LeeAnne. I have to keep telling myself that making unhealthy foods for my family is not a way I want to show love to them. My daughter is 2, and many times I've thought it would be fun to start baking together, but to me I know that means cookies...cookies she will eat and I will eat. So I am being intentional about doing crafts with her and snuggling up with books and special times with mommy. Something other than those foods. It's so wise to NOT make those foods, especially when you are weak. And remember that when you make them, they'll be hanging around until they are gone... you can say NO to them once (by not making them) or you'll have to say NO to them a thousand times once they are in the house. The first choice is so much easier!

      Delete
  2. I'm intrigued - and confused - about the "not once" rule mentioned in yesterday's article that breaking your habit only one time does hurt. On one hand it totally makes sense - I need to build a trusting relationship with myself by committing to the new habits. So for example, my new habit is not putting sugar in my coffee and I know that if I do it even once right now, I'll swing back to my old habits. But want about not eating sweets/avoiding sugar? Is it realistic to say "not once" ever again? How do you make exceptions for normal life events - travel, birthdays, etc. - and not let them derail you (as often happens for me)? Discussion, anyone?

    ReplyDelete