Sunday, February 9, 2014

51 Days | The Power of Gratitude


I recently read an interesting article about the power of gratitude and how it affects our overall health journey.  I thought I'd share this idea with you, because I am definitely interested in growing in gratitude and in improving my health.

One way we sabotage weight loss is by constantly focusing on the negative aspects of our bodies. "I hate my stomach. My thighs are huge! My butt is out of control. I hope no one notices my cellulite, yuck." 

But what if GRATITUDE could help manifest weight loss as you focus more and more on the parts of your body you like?

Here's a quick exercise that you can repeat as often as you'd like.  And this doesn't just have to be about your body.  Use it for other things too, like your marriage, your children, your job, your future...



Grab a pen and your journal, because this activity is best done in writing.  

Remember that most of us have A LOT of emotional baggage built up regarding our excess pounds and our body image. Therefore, it's health to do a bit of "pretending" in this exercise as well. Hang in there, and I'll tell you what I mean.

Start by focusing on one thing you like about your body. It doesn't have to be anything big, just one little thing you like. Your eyes, your hands, your toes, your earlobes, something simple.

Focus on that one thing for a few minutes and detail all of the reasons why you like this part of yourself.  As you describe this body part, include attributes that express your values and faith, too.  What is good about the trait you've chosen?  Why is it good?  Why can you be thankful for it?

Feel free to move on to another part of your body and do the same thing.  If possible, choose 3 or 4 aspects that you truly appreciate, and express your gratitude.

Remember I said we might want to do a little "pretending"?  

What would it be like if you could start feeling gratitude for the aspects of your body you would like to have--even if you don't see those things in the mirror right now?   What if you gave thanks for your slender, healthy waist?  Or gave thanks for your increased stamina and strength? Or your ability to wear clothes in smaller sizes?

When expressing gratitude, go into as much detail as you can, and really allow your emotions to flow. FEEL waves of gratitude flowing from your heart--for things real and for things hoped--the faith in things to come.  

Over time, growing in gratitude can create an astounding transformation!  Try it...

1 comment: