Thursday, January 16, 2014

76 Days | It's Not About A Number



I thought this was an appropriate post on Week #2 Weigh Day.

This can't really be about the numbers. It's tempting. But, that can't be the final ending.

The day to day goal can't even be about a number. Sure, the scale can be a helpful tool for us, but at the end of the day I have to ask myself:

Have I made all the best choices today to move toward optimal health and honor God with my body?

Have I done the best I could do and all that is required of me?

If I am being faithful to the habits of health, then the number on the scale is not the greatest measure of satisfaction. Moving toward my REAL goal is what will be satisfying. And, when that is in proper focus, then I think the weight WILL come off and will stay off. 

One of the things I've appreciated about my own journey with Take Shape for Life, is that I haven't had to worry about whether I will or will not lose weight.  As long as I take the proper action steps, the weight comes off.  Consistently.  I have only simply had to think about "Am I acting in a way that supports my goals?"

Have I Stumbled?
Oh my!  YES---BIG TIME!  

So, what would happen if I were to stumble and I had minimized my journey to the number on the scale?

I would inevitably get discouraged over even the slightest little stumble or smallest gain, and then that little stumble would become a downward spiral which would lead to more significant weight gain.  Kind of counterproductive, don't you think?

Has that ever happened to you?  You do really well for awhile, then fall, the scale doesn't move in the direction you want and so you just quit.  In the quitting, three months down the road you actually weigh more than you did when you started and the vicious "dieting" cycle has you in its clutches once more.

Well, what if you were to think like this instead?
What if, our daily choices were to become about walking the best path, practicing the best habits--moment by moment, day by day, month by month?

What if the measure of our success were in the action steps we've taken?  What if we celebrated the choices we made, the day-to-day accomplishments we achieved? (Like, walking through an airport with the smells of tempting foods smacking you in the face--and you keep on walking!  Great job, Freddy B!)

When these things become the measuring stick for our success, then and only then, will a little stumble just briefly trip us up. We'll just get back up and keep on walking.

Ask yourself today, "Can I feel good about the action steps I took this week?  Did they lead me toward my goals and dreams for a healthy body, healthy mind and healthy finances?"  

If you say yes, then the number on the scale today doesn't really have any power over you, right?

If you say no, then ask yourself, "What can I do differently in the week ahead to be faithful in my actions, so that my action steps support my goals?"

I'm here for you!  Just give me a shout if you need to chat!

4 comments:

  1. The timing of this post is perfect! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! this was me last week! it was the first week for most, and I was stuck! I did NOT give up, but kept marching and thinking thu my choices, and things I could change! thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this reminder! :) There really is more to it than a number on the scale.

    ReplyDelete