Saturday, January 4, 2014

88 Days | Eating Low and Slow!


"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are."
-Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

I want to begin this post with some caution.  I said from the start--I am not a nutritionist.  I am a certified health coach, trained in the habits of health.  I can point you to many resources and I do have a plethora of information, but I really can't tell you "what" you should and should not eat.

Dr. A has researched nutrition extensively, particularly as it relates to weight loss and health.  At the bottom of this post, I've included an interview from the Habits of Health radio where Dr. A talks about the importance of eating low glycemic foods.

Essentially, eating low glycemic foods is the best way to lose weight and create health.  So, in Chapter 9 of Dr. A's Habits of Health he created glycemic index charts that are color coded.  These charts give you extensive lists of the best possible foods to choose from and those that you should avoid if you want to lose weight and have a healthy body.  It's not that the high-glycemic foods are "bad" things.  Actually--food has no morality, so there are no "good" or "bad" foods. Only healthy, not as healthy, and unhealthy.

Let me give you an example: Citrus fruits (except oranges) and raspberries are on the Very Low GI for fruits.  Oranges, strawberries and apples make it onto the moderate.  But if you want to lose weight--then you should actually avoid the high glycemics--like bananas, blueberries, grapes, pineapple, and watermelon.

I can already hear some of you.  Gasp! "But, Julie!  Fruit is a healthy choice!!! You're not going to tell me that fruit is unhealthy."

I agree with you.  Fruit is healthy.  And *I*am not telling you to do or not do anything--I'm simply stating the facts that are outlined in the Habits of Health.  However, if you want to lose weight, you're not serving yourself by fueling your body with high glycemic foods.



WHY GO LOW?
Well, let me first explain how the glycemic index works.  How is it determined if a food is placed in the very low, low or high category?

To determine the rating, here's what happens:
You eat a food, particularly carbs.
How high does it raise your blood sugar in 30 minutes compared to eating straight sugar?
If it spikes up fast, like it would with sugar, it's a high glycemic food.

When your blood sugar goes up rapidly, it stimulates insulin release and makes your blood sugar go into your cells.  So high glycemic, raises insulin fast.

When your insulin goes high, quickly and often, you wear out your pancreas and your cells and you begin to actually STORE fat.

Have you heard of insulin resistance?  This is basically what it is.

Dr. A suggests that you want to turn off your "insulin pump" by eating low glycemic.  We need carbs, but we need smart carbs.  In fact, we need 50% of our food to be carbohydrates--but those things should come from the "very low" or "low" glycemic categories.

Even veggies have carbs.  That's why we promote eating lean & green.  Lean proteins and low glycemic veggies.  Deriving your carbs from plants/vegetables is great!  But which veggies is important, too.  While spinach, zucchini and cauliflower all make it on the vast list of very low GI, veggies like peas, corn, cooked carrots and beets don't make the cut.  They are high on the glycemic index with a GI >50.

If all of this seems like I'm talking in a foreign language--I UNDERSTAND!  It has taken me a long time to begin to understand it, and even longer to begin to understand how to apply it.

I really can't stress enough how valuable Dr. A's book will be to you.  It is so packed with all the information you're begging me to give you!


Blessed to have had the opportunity to have a front row seat at "school by the pool" with Dr. A (and his wife, Lori) last April during a health coach training.

Today's Challenge
Listen, learn, be inspired, and work on your meal plan!

Here's a testimonial from Dr. A's website about someone who used his color coded GI system on her vacation.

Dr. A's Habits of Health Radio Broadcast: "Low Glycemic Eating."

Dr. A & My Health Coach, Shirley, on WBAL TV in Baltimore: 211 Pound Lighter Mom Offers Tips

High Protein/Low Carb Recipes on Pintrest.

Healthy Snack ideas.

Low Carb Snacks

Remember, those of you who are really struggling with the planning and the ideas for food--it's not a cop-out to use the meal replacements.  I couldn't have lost 120 pounds without them and I don't think I could lose my final leg of the journey without them--and believe me, I tried!  These meals were researched and formulated at Johns Hopkins and are used a Johns Hopkins Weight Loss Clinic for safe and effective weight loss.  Worth exploring as a viable option. They lead you to the healthy habits we're longing for in our lives and allowing you the luxury of learning and growing while you're losing! They are not necessary, but always available!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you found it helpful, Deborah! Let's do this thing!!!

      Delete
  2. This is HIGHLY valuable information! If anyone has any questions, please let us know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I think eating foods in a nutritionally balanced manner will take care of both the inside and outside at the same time. As Americans we eat a lot of carbs. So is it really "low" or is it balanced??

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, KLW, we'll reach out to your directly and make sure we understand your concerns. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that many of you are encouraged by this post, but I do want to make sure I state again that I am not a nutritionist...but I do trust my resources on healthy habits. Being healthy is our greatest goal here and creating sustainable health habits. We don't want to just follow a "prescribed" diet. However, there are many people on here who have quite a bit of weight to lose and have no idea how to change the direction of their health. Eating low gylcemic is both healthy and a good means of weight control. Higher glycemic foods--like some of the fruits I mention--do have a proper place in our lives. But they don't serve us best if we're struggling to lose weight.

    Being someone who started this journey at 300 pounds, I can definitly tell you--weight loss is not JUST about putting on a fresh coat of paint. Obesity is killing us. I was on a path toward some pretty terrible disease.

    I had tried counting calories, working out with a vengeance (even training with an ex-marine fitness trainer who was fierce!), and so many other programs and plans. Nothing worked. I could not seem to get out of the cycle of obesity. Eating low glycemic foods has helped me lose a TON of weight, which in turn has brought about profoundly positive health results. It has brought my cholesterol levels back into a healthy range as well as my blood sugar levels--no longer pre-diabetic. In September, I was in the hospital and had to see a cardiologist (nothing related to my eating, to be clear!). To hear a doctor say to me, "Julie, had you not lost your weight and changed your metabolic health, we would be in a much worse place right now."

    So, I think there is merit to it--not just for weight loss but also for health.

    Please know, as I said in the post, anyone here is welcome to eat however they want--whatever they want. I'm just sharing the knowledge I've been given over the last two years through my journey, to a group of people who asked for Hope or I to encourage them toward health.

    If you have more questions about it, please feel free to contact me directly: jgarnerhealthcoach@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! This could have become it's own blog post! ;)

      Delete
  7. I listened to the radio show, very interesting. loving the new information. I love the sciency stuff! I am looking forward to reading this book and learning all it has for me! I am not yet eating low and slow! working on it now! Practicing, practicing.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Give yourself points for listening to the radio show! So informative, right? I find it helpful to keep filling my mind with good information. And, yeah, I like the "science" of it, too!

      Delete
    2. Very cool, friend! It's kind of addicting, isn't it; learning all this stuff?? I find it so intriguing and helpful! I'm thrilled you do too!

      Delete
  8. wow i think it will take me a week to get through all of that info!!! I am so HUNGRY for all of this knowledge! Glad I have you ladies to ask questions & now I can't wait to get my book in the mail this week & learn learn learn!

    ReplyDelete