Saturday, January 18, 2014

74 Days | Think on What is True About the Future


To me, this is important to address, because so many of us have developed bad habits of the mind.  We need a healthy MIND to go with our healthy body.  So maybe you can relate to this.

I'm a worrier.  I blame my mother for this. (She knows!)  She is a self-proclaimed worrier.

I used to lay in bed for hours and "think."  That's what I would call it.  "Thinking."  But it was really worrying.  Fretting.  Fearing.

  • What if my house burns down in the middle of the night?  Do my children know how to escape?  Do I know how to escape?
  • What if God takes my children from me? Or my husband from me?
  • Why isn't my friend talking to me?  I wonder how it will go when I see her/him tomorrow for the first time since the silence.
  • When will I receive my cancer diagnosis?  Will I be afraid of dying?  
  • What if I'm in a car accident?  What if Dan is in an accident?

I mean, you get the idea, right?  And those are just the big things.  I get frantic about details as well.

  • Did I put everything on my list that I could possibly need for vacation?  Did I forget anything?
  • What if I am asked to coordinate that event?  How could I do that with the most efficiency and excellence?

It really requires a lot of mental exercise to juggle so much concern.  

There were some MAJOR worries I had before I started my transformation.  Maybe you can relate to these:
  • What if I just keep gaining weight?  Is this how I will die?
  • What if I try to lose weight again and just can't?  Will I just fall into the pit of despair?
  • What if everyone around me loses weight and I just keep getting bigger?  What if I can't walk up the stairs anymore?  What if I can't sit on that chair?  What if I can't fit through that space?  What if I get there and I can't do all that walking?  What if...

I was reminded of a powerful truth through Elizabeth George's book, "Loving God with All Your Mind."  I can't say it as well as she did, so I will simply quote her:

Oh, dear friend, whatever your 'what if' is, you must remember that 'what if' is only a guess.  If you want to overcome your fears, you cannot think 'what if' thoughts.  Instead...you and I must acknowledge that events in the future are not real.  We must eliminate this kind of speculative thinking because thoughts about the future are only guesses.'
Furthermore, the future is in God's hands--His loving, capable, merciful, powerful hands!  He can enable us to deal with what is real, with what is now.  And, the truth is, He will also be with us whatever the future holds.  Lo, He is 'with you always, even to the end of the age' (Matthew 28:20)!  Yes, we need to be prepared for things like earthquakes.  And yes, we need to be wise about our finances, our parenting, and our health.  But we don't need to waste energy worrying about what is not yet real, about things that may never come to pass.' 
God  calls us to handle each day, one at a time.  TODAY is real, and, Beloved, God will enable us to deal with what today holds.  THAT is what's true."

1 comment:

  1. Now that is what I am talkin' about! speak the Word, Sis!

    ReplyDelete